Why and when your consent is necessary
When you become a patient of Health Check Family Medical Practice, you provide consent for our practitioners and administrative staff to access and use your personal and health information. Your personal information is only accessed by practitioners and staff in order to provide you with the highest level of healthcare. There are certain circumstances we may be required to share your personal information with third parties which are covered by this policy. If we need to use your information for anything else, we will seek additional consent from you to do this.
Why do we collect, use, hold and share your personal information?
Our main purpose for collecting, using, holding and sharing your personal information is to provide you with a premium healthcare service and inform you about the healthcare services we offer. We also use it for activities directly related to the supply of healthcare services, such as Medicare claims and payments, clinic audits and accreditation.
What personal information do we collect?
How do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information in the following ways:
1. When you become a patient of Health Check Family Medical Practice you will be required to supply personal and demographic information, as well as health information such as allergies, health and family history.
2. In the course of providing you health services, we may collect further personal information relevant to the supply of healthcare services.
3. We may also collect your personal information when you visit our website, send us an email or SMS, telephone us, make an online appointment or communicate with us using social media.
4. Personal information may also be collected from other sources when it is not practical or reasonable to collect it from you directly. This may include information from:
o your guardian or responsible person;
o other involved healthcare providers, such as specialists, allied health professionals, hospitals, community health services, and pathology and diagnostic imaging services;
o your health fund, Medicare, or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (as necessary).
Sharing your personal information
In some circumstances, we may be required to share your personal information. However, only people who need to access your information will be able to do so. Other than in the course of providing healthcare services, or as otherwise described in this policy, Health Check Family Medical Practice will not share personal information with any third party without your consent.
We may be required to share your personal information in the following instances:
1. To liaise with other healthcare providers and prepare relevant healthcare documentation including but not limited to Shared Health Summary, Event Summary and My Health Record related to the supply of healthcare services to you;
2. In emergency situations to lessen or prevent a serious threat to you or another patient’s life, health or safety or public health or safety, or if you are unable to act on your own behalf due to a health condition, we may need to discuss your health information with relatives or emergency contacts, to ensure you receive necessary care;
3. If required or authorised by law (e.g. Court subpoenas);
4. If needed to assist in locating a missing person;
5. To establish, exercise or defend an equitable claim;
6. For the purpose of confidential dispute resolution process;
7. If there is a statutory requirement to share certain personal information (for instance in the case of mandatory notification of certain diseases);
8. Where Health Check Family Medical Practice is required to work with third parties for business purposes, such as accreditation agencies, or information technology providers. All third parties are required to comply with Australian Privacy Principles and this policy;
9. We will not disclose your personal information with anyone outside Australia (unless under exceptional circumstances that are permitted by law) without your consent.
How do we store and protect your personal information?
Your personal and health information may be stored in various forms, but is primarily retained in your secure electronic health record. Health Check Family Medical Practice maintains the highest level of confidentiality as is required for accreditation.
How can you access and correct your personal information at our clinic?
You have the right to request access to, and correction of, your personal information.
All requests for access to personal information must be made in writing via email, and we will respond within a reasonable time.
Health Check Family Medical Practice takes all reasonable steps to maintain the accuracy of your personal information and from time to time, we may ask you to verify that the personal information we hold about you is correct and current. You may also request that we correct or update your information, and you should make such requests in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
How can you lodge a privacy-related complaint, and how will the complaint be handled?
If you have any concerns about the privacy of your information, please send us an email email@example.com outlining your concerns. You may also contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) regarding privacy concerns. Generally, the OAIC will require you to give them time to respond before they will investigate. For further information visit www.oaic.gov.au or call the OAIC on 1300 363 992.
Privacy and our website
Any information collected through our website is treated as confidential information and is stored securely.
Policy review statement